Riley’s nightgown and sleep shirt pattern came about after hearing repeated requests from moms, looking for more gender neutral options, for a sleep shirt made from soft knit fabrics. There are many cotton woven patterns on the market for traditional night/sleep shirts that are unisex but knits really are more comfy! It is also a great pattern to use for upcycles, you can even use some of dad’s old shirts.
The first thing that came to mind were my two boys, and how much they love to sleep in dad’s old shirts. This raglan sleepwear is inspired by some of the sports t-shirts, of my husbands, that the boys love to wear to bed.
It has two length options a longer, more traditional, girls length gown and a shorter, gender neutral long shirt. The hem facing is an easy finish, with all the detailed pictures, and gives a clean finished look with a peek-a-boo hem. With 2 different body length options & 2 sleeve lengths you can make a variety of sleep tops with just one pattern. Riley’s nightgown and sleep shirt pattern offers 19 sizes for both boys and girls from newborn to youth 18 with one pattern covering infants, toddlers, youth & tweens!
Additional directions are not included for these options, BUT you could mix it up by using lace underwear elastic on the neckline for girls, add a contrasting cuff to the sleeve or use contrasting knit binding to finish the bottom hem, instead of the hem facings.
Make sure to read the directions BEFORE printing off all the pages.
This pattern is includes a ebook .PDF file with 17 pages of instructions, photos & diagrams. It also includes 26 professionally digitized pages in the same file & page print guide that you assemble to make the full sizes pieces (10-16 pages per size group). My easy no trimming method makes the pattern assembly a breeze!
SKILL LEVEL: Confident Beginner
- Infants: Newborn, 0-3m, 3-6m, 6-9m, 9-12m,
Toddlers: 12-18m, 18-24m, 2T, 3T, 4T
Kids: 5, 6, 7, 8, 10
Youth/Tween: 12, 14, 16, 18
- See chart for more detailed sizing information & measurements.
- 1/2-1 1/4 yards of 60″+ wide PREWASHED Knit fabric with 50% or more stretch.
- 1/8 yd Cotton Lycra (spandex) jersey or rib knit with at least 75%+ stretch for neck binding & hem facing (4″ stretches to 7″)
- Washable Marker (or other tracing tool)
- Printer, Paper and Tape (for pattern pieces)
- Roll of tracing paper, freezer paper, parchment paper or cheap interfacing and pen
- Iron , Hem Gauge or ruler to measure hems
- Sewing Machine with a Ball Point Needle
- OPITIONAL: Twin needle for the Hem